Skip to main content

Labour and Birth

I thought my labour would be dramatic, at some random place at a random time - like in the movies. But it wasn't like that at all.

We went for my regular appointment at week 39. Things were fine no contractions and no sign of anything. I was asking my doctor (I guess all first time moms do), "how would I know I am in labour?" and his response was, "Aarti, you will know". 

We came home (my hospital bag was ready by week 34 so we had nothing to worry), had dinner, watched the first episode of Guilty Crown (anime) with my hubby. Went to bed very late (was almost 2pm). By 3 PM I could feel it coming. The contractions had begun - were mild and I could walk. We called the doctor at 5AM and as per his suggestion went to ER. The contractions became stronger by 7AM and I could barely walk (now I knew what the doctor meant by, "Aarti you will know"). The nurse who was monitoring my contractions on the machine said the contractions were very strong (as per the reading). I was active in labour by 9AM and was taken to the labour room by 10.

My water breaking didn't cause any drama or havoc (as I had hoped) but my active labour and contractions did. I couldn't take the labour pain (I was literally screaming my lungs out). The doctor had broken my water bag and I had stopped dilating at 6cm.  I had 2 nurses beside me with 2 different opinions about taking epidural. One suggesting I should take it as I am not taking the labour pains too well, while the other totally rebuking her by saying I can't because I have already dilated more then 5cm. Between these two suggestions I couldn't make up my mind. I was already using the nitrogen gas (or whatever you call it) and the relief was near to nothing. With all this drama, shouting and screaming and me not dilating further - I opted for CS.

Throughout this whole time - since my labour started at 3AM till I delivered at 1:18 PM and even after that my beloved hubby was beside me, and literally went through everything with me.

I have no idea what happened after the effect of anesthesia took over but when I woke up and saw my baby for the first time I understood what David meant when he said,
"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful,...." - Psalms 139







Comments

  1. Congratulations Aarti!
    I really enjoyed reading this post. I don't have any children and I won't lie when I say the thought of labour scares me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Brother's Bungalow at Penang Hill

We took some time off from the hustle and bustle of life - and together with some friends we had a retreat at the Brother's Bungalow at Penang Hill. Now while this retreat was being planned I thought to "google" the Brother's Bungalow. I had heard so much about this place and I just wanted to check out this place before we get there. But to my surprise I couldn't find much. So now here are some pictures for you to get a glimpse of how the Brother's Bungalow looks like. I do not have any information on how and who to contact for the reservations but I must say the facilities are wonderful. They have rooms and dormitories. The place is cooling so you don't need an air-conditioner but you do have fans. They have a dining room and the care taker would provide food upon request. This is a very neat and clean place. The sign boards to Brother's Bungalow If you prefer to walk and would want to enjoy God's creation it takes about 45 mins from the Pe

Airasia - Bukhara Chicken Biryani

My sister tried this when Airasia introduced it few years ago. And she was going all crazy for it. She told my entire family and friends to try Bukhara Chicken Briyani. I have traveled frequently with Airasia but just that time was never right to order a meal, until this CNY when we were flying back to Penang we decided to have in-flight lunch. So DH ordered Pak Nasser's Nasi Lemak (our favorite) while I got a chance to order Bukhara Chicken Biryani. It was so delicious and so authentic - I enjoyed each and every grain of that Biryani. If you ever get to try this go for it. You will never regret that. A taste of authentic Indian food (even though it says Bukhara).

DIY - Diaper Cake

First attempt at diy - diaper cake for a beloved friend.